[bksvol-discuss] Re: Carrie and staff blind or sighted

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 14:43:34 -0400

I think it's neat to know about each person here, what they are like as people. I was born blind, as many people here were. I have a sighted friend who sends me Braille letters, and I really like that. By the same token, knowing someone is sighted helps me know when to use smileys in private notes to them or that they might enjoy a photo if we send mail back and forth. I would also like to know if we have any people here who use Bookshare due to a learning disability. This isn't because I want to cause division here or to label anyone. My family has a history of severe dyslexia, and my mother is the only one of her generation to go beyond the third grade because they didn't know how to treat it back then. I've been told that children diagnosed with dyslexia are now being taught to use Braille or a screenreader to do schoolwork. I think my aunt and uncle would qualify for Bookshare services, and yet they have concluded that they just can't learn. I may not be able to help them for now, but I do want to know that we're meeting the needs of all of our readers here.

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.