[bksvol-discuss] Re: Carrie Books (Re: Just Submitted)

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:49:44 -0700

That ed may be a dollar sign. When I used HotDots, the dollar sign p was the code for taking a new paragraph. Braille translation was a multistage process in which the original file was read by the Braille translator and examined for formatting. Then the Braille translator put in its own formatting codes such as dollar p for new paragraph, dollar s to skip a line, etc. There were quite a few of them. Once this file was created, the next stage was to translate the file into Braille that would be correctly formatted. The translation was a four-stage process, but I don't remember what all four were at the moment.

Anyhow, that was my first thought when you wrote that. Sheer speculation would be that perhaps someone scanned this, decided to make a Braille translation, then sent up the wrong file. I'm not sure how that could happen by accident, as I don't think the file extension would be rtf, but perhaps.

Why not just do a search and replace and replace the character string with nothing?