[bksvol-discuss] Can a sighted volunteer take over validatating Medal of Honor

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:49:14 -0500

Hi all,

Shelley scanned "Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valour Beyond the Call Of Duty" for me. It's a coffee-table sized book full of photographs that barely fit on Shelley's scanner, so I'm amazed she was even able to scan it. smile.

Unfortunately, I've got a major flare-up of a neck problem, so it may be weeks before I can spend more than a few minutes at a time even looking at a computer screen.

I'd like to release this book back to step one if there is a sighted volunteer who will take it on. It'll need a sighted volunteer to figure out the partially missing words here and there and to determine where the photographs occurred (those seem to be pages filled with junk characters).

I'll paste Shelly's notes, and the synopsis below.

Judy s.

Shelley's notes: Has not been edited. Many pages are flawless others seem to be missing some letters. The book was so large, any larger and I could not fit it on the scanner! May require some assistance. 328 pages.

Synopsis:

Nobody signs up to win the medal of honor. You earn it at the intersection of
happenstance and hell, and you're there because that's what your country has
asked of you. When the living heroes whose acts of bravery are chronicledhere
try to explain their behavior, it's always in ordinary terms—there wereno other
choices; they had a mission to complete; it seemed like the right thing to do at
that moment; they were just trying to survive. "Somebody had to hold the road"
is how World War II Lieutenant Audie Murphy chose to describe the most legendary
one-man stand in Army history. But a hero's action is always extraordinary
because it is so contrary to the basic human instincts of self-preservation and
survival: A crewman aboard a bomber picks up, carries, and ejects a misfired
phosphorous flare from the fuselage while he watches his hand burn away in the
process. A soldier falls on a grenade to save his buddies, knowing that if he
survives at all, it will be with a shattered body. A Japanese American whose
family was moved into a California internment camp is a member of the Nisei
442nd Regimental Combat Team, the most decorated unit in World War II. Medal of
Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty paints portraits of 138living
or recently deceased men whose incredible bravery in World War II, Korea,and
Vietnam is the embodiment of the very term hero. Their lives and their stories,
collected on these pages, are as diverse as America itself: They're blackand
white and Asian and Hispanic; sons of sharecroppers and brothers of soldiers.
They're seventeen-year- old volunteers, career soldiers, military academy
graduates. They're infantrymen and pilots, flamethrower men and medics. Today
they will all tell you they are merely the caretakers of the medal for their
comrades left behind on the battlefield. They are also living reminders of the
cost of freedom, a price that we are periodically required to pay, suffering and
courage, as we were so horribly reminded on September 11, 2001, and then later
in Iraq.

Title:  Medal of Honor: PORTRAITS OF VALOR BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY (2nd Ed.)
Author: Peter Collier