[bksvol-discuss] Calling All Volunteers For a Summer Challenge

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <tears2pearls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:14:06 -0400

Hi everyone. June is here, and classes have ended for many of you. The
weather is warm, the breezes are refreshing. It's the perfect time to
try something fun and new.
That's why I'm inviting you to join me for a summer challenge this year.

In many ways, volunteers shape the Bookshare collection based on our own
interests and/or the books we scan for others. That builds diversity and
variety throughout the collection.

Many of us have shared stories of how books changed our lives, our point
of view, or helped us understand ourselves better. Others have shared
their happy memories of spending time with a loved one reading a special
book. Finally, many volunteers have expressed sadness over losing access
to older books from
NLS because they have been permanently withdrawn from the NLS
collection.

That brings us to the summer challenge. I challenge you to scan,
proofread, or mail a book to the Bookshare office that has a special
meaning for you or that you can no longer get in an accessible form. It
doesn't matter what the book is. It should just mean something to you
and shouldn't already be on Bookshare. Then, once it's approved in the
collection, if you want to, share the title with me, and I'll post its
title on a special Summer Challenge page on my blog with a link to your
book on Bookshare. That way, it will be easy for people to find the book
that means so much to you once it has scrolled off the new books page on
Bookshare. I won't post anyone's name on the blog to protect everyone's
privacy. My blog is at http://www.scannersguild.com if you want to see
what it's like.

For those that scan, please scan a book for the collection and consider
teaming up with a proofreader who will work on your book while you scan
theirs. . For those who proofread, reach out to submitters and ask them
to scan a book for you so you can proofread it. If you're able, mail the
submitter your book
so we share the cost of putting these books into the collection. If you
can't do that, ask around among the volunteers to see if someone has it
at their local library and can scan for you.

If you're a seasoned volunteer, please take a new volunteer under your
wing and help them get their book into the collection. You may make a
new friend in the process and will help the new volunteer feel more
confident with his or her work.

If you can't scan or proofread a book, consider buying the book and
mail it to Bookshare  to scan for you. It may take them a little time to
do the scanning, and then your special book will be available to
everyone. You don't need to buy a new book to mail to Bookshare. They'll
scan used books too as long as the book is in good condition.

What do you think? Are you up for this summer challenge?

Monica Willyard
Check out my books and accessible book lists on Goodreads at
http://www.goodreads.com/profile/plumlipstick