[bksvol-discuss] Re: Calling All Scanners

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:36:44 -0500

Hi Monica,
Thank you for taking the time to make me feel important. I needed that this
morning.

Jim

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "Monica Willyard"
             <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  "Bookshare Volunteers"
             bksvol-discuss-bo         <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx         "Bookshare Discuss"
             g                         <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             01/10/2008 08:48                                      Subject
             PM                        [bksvol-discuss] Calling All
                                       Scanners

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

If you own a scanner, this message is for you! Let's liven things up a
little around here and have some fun doing it. Let's do something we
haven't done before. Read to the end of this message to find out what I
mean.

Did you know we're getting mighty close to the 50,000 books mark? Can you
imagine how good it will feel to celebrate it and tell our friends that we
have 50,000 books in our collection? How cool would it be if yours is book
number 50,000? What if we can make that happen without turning into zombies
who scan 'round the clock?

I've been talking to several Bookshare submitters and have found out that
we have something really cool in common. A lot of us scan more books than
we actually submit. This is usually because we scan books for ourselves and
then keep on scanning more books ahead of what we're actually reading. Some
of us have hard drives and memory cards full of scanned books that just
need to be cleaned up a bit before submission. It's just a matter of
sitting down for a little while to do a spell check and make sure all the
pages are there. Yet this seems like more work than just scanning while we
do other things.

These books are like buried treasure, hidden in the depths of our hard
drives. If we've scanned a certain book to read, it's almost a guarantee
that someone else wants to read the book too. Unlike treasure buried in the
ground, treasure on a hard drive can be so easily lost by something as
common as a power failure.

So let's do something cool, calling it Project Treasure Chest. Let's take a
little time during these cold winter months to open our treasure chests  to
clean up and submit some of the books we already have scanned. In return,
you'll get some treasure of your own. Besides knowing that other people are
enjoying your books, I want to do something to recognize each person who
submits ten excellent scans between today, January 10, and March 30 of this
year. To do that, I'm going to do two things. I'm going to make a special
web page to honor each of the Project Treasure Chest submitters. On top of
that, I'm going to offer 3 prizes out of my own pocket. On may 1, I'm going
to ask a Bookshare staff member to draw three names from a hat. Each of
these three people will receive a 20 dollar gift certificate from Amazon.

Project Treasure Chest is open to everyone who is a Bookshare volunteer. It
doesn't matter whether you're brand new or have been a volunteer for years.
All you have to do to be listed on the special web page and become eligible
for the Amazon prizes is to submit 10 books that are in excellent condition
and email me a list of your submissions. These books must be validated to
verify that they are in excellent shape since it is the only way I know of
to make sure that people don't just submit fair and incomplete books to win
a prize. That is why I'm waiting for several weeks after the cut-off date
to get the books into the Bookshare collection. These can be BSO scans of
books that need it, books you scanned for yourself, or books from the wish
list. The only requirement is that they need to be in excellent condition.
Excellent doesn't mean perfect. It does mean clear and legible text. You'll
need to email me your list of titles since it's the only way I'll know who
is participating and how to get in touch with you. My email address is
rhyami@xxxxxxxxx . I'll be working to validate your books, as will many
other volunteers.

So will you join me in uncovering our buried treasures? Are you ready to
celebrate 50,000 books?

If you're a person who validates instead of scanning, don't worry. I'm
going to think of something fun for you too. Since validaters aren't listed
on the Bookshare site, it's a lot harder to see who is doing what. That's
ok though. I'm not going to leave you folks out. You're too important for
that. If you'll help me get the ball rolling here, I promise you we'll do
something for validaters soon.

Finally, if you know anyone who volunteers but is not on the Bookshare
lists, please pass this along to them. We all win when people take part.

Monica Willyard, who has a treasure chest of her own to share