[bksvol-discuss] Re: British vs American English designation Re:was Need Help Solving a Mystery

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:53:31 -0400

When I started reading braille books as a kid in elementary school, we had some
in our library that were British English. Some of these were in British
spelling but with American punctuation, and a few were printed by the Royal
National Institute for the Blind in London, so they didn't even have capital
letters. I just read them. I didn't have any problems. I don't know why this
distinction has to be made in the first place. British English and punctuation
are minorly different from what we use over here, that's all. It seems likely
that anyone who can read one can read the other with no difficulty. It's just a
silly distinction in my view, especially when it makes searching for books more
complicated than it needs to be.

Evan

          From: Evan Reese <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Need Help Solving a Mystery
          To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 8:03 PM

          Well I agree with Roger. The search should default to English, period.

          Evan

                    From: Evan Reese <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 5:39 PM

                    Thanks Em, if I knew that about the Advanced search
default, I forgot about it. I never use Basic search anymore because it gives
too many results. How that one book got set to English UK when the other eight
did not is another mystery.

                    Hmmm, I wonder if it could be reset to US English so it
comes up along with the rest of the series. Madeleine, Would you be able to do
that?

                    Evan