[bksvol-discuss] Re: British English

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 20:27:19 -0400

The main one that I can think of is the quotation marks. Remember that in American English the external quotation marks are double quotation marks and the internal quotation marks are single. That will alternate with each level of quotation, but it is unlikely that you will come across more than one level of internal quotation. Bear in mind, though, that you may find a book with British spelling and American punctuation. Fairly recently I scanned two books in a row like that. I think what happened was that the book was originally published in England, but that I was scanning an American reprint and the spelling was allowed to stand, but the American publisher changed the punctuation.

On 10/7/2012 7:50 PM, Lisa Gorden-Cushman wrote:
Hello,

I am considering proofing a book, but it is in British English.  Other than
some of the spelling differences, what punctuation differences should I keep
in mind?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this book sounds good.

Thanks,
Lisa

"Love is my strength" Palen Majere