[bksvol-discuss] Re: [Braillenote] new bookshare is up... be warned!!

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:04:41 -0800 (PST)

Some of these annoyances can be avoided if you want to
receive my books-added list.

Six books were added to the collection yesterday
(Monday). I edit the New Books list and mail it out to
those who want it. I include the short synopsis and
genre and delete everything else. I may or may not
have to delete the copyright date, depending on
whether or not I can easily and quickly  make it look
the way it does for these six books.

Some adults don't want to know about books for
children-young adults, so I have a separate list for
those people.

If you want to receive my list let me know. SInce
yesterday's list was short, I've pasted it below so
you can see what it's like. I send it out in the wee
hours of the morning, usually, but possibly before
midnight or 11 p.m. Pacific time depending on when
Carrie finishes approving books and how busy I've been
with other things during the day and evening. smile

The adult-only list does not have the abbreviations of
the professional review journals.

Cindy

6 English-Language books added to collection Jan. 9-11

All Books are downloadable in BRF and Daisy unless
otherwise stated; May include (or not) Adult-rated
books. THIS LIST DOES NOT INCLUDE books only available
to public K-12 schools and organizations in the United
States for use with students with an IEP (NIMAC)

***Christmas Mouse
by Dug Steers
Children's fiction; baby-preschool (PD)
Synopsis: Mouse has nothing to do for Christmas
because everything is already done. What can she do?
Copyright Date: 2001

***The Return (Mars Hill Classified Series, Book 3)
by Boyd, Austin
Science fiction
Synopsis: With nothing left for him on Earth, Rear
Admiral John Wells didn't hesitate to lead a third
NASA team to Mars, but he never dreamed that one day
they'd look out their laboratory module into the
lights of a slow-moving vehicle not their own.
Copyright Date: 2007

***Hideaway Home (Hideaway Book 10, Love Inspired
Historical)
by Alexander, Hannah
Fiction
Synopsis: Birtie returns to Hideaway Missouri after
learning that her father died suddenly. Red returns
from WWII and finds Birtie's father and feels there
has been foul play.
Copyright Date: 2008

***Off The Record
by White, Elizabeth
Fiction
Synopsis: Judge Laurel Kincade, a rising political
star, is announcing her candidacy for chief justice of
the Alabama Supreme Court Her aristocratic Old South
family, led by her judge grandfather, beams as she
takes the podium Then her eyes light on a reporter in
the crowd-and suddenly her past becomes a threat to
her future
Copyright Date: 2007

***Silent Enemy (Finders, Inc. Book #2) (Steeple Hill
Love Inspired Suspense #29)
by Richer, Lois
Fiction
Synopsis: A STOLEN STATUE, A CURIOUS COIN...AND A
MURDER When Samantha Henderson ran into trouble
recovering a lost statue in the Peruvian jungle,
Daniel McCullough believed he'd made the right
decision in not promoting her at Finders, Inc...
Copyright Date: 2006

***Handbook Of Disability Studies
by Albrecht, Gary L. and Bury, Michael and Seelman,
Katherine D.
Fiction
Synopsis: Textbook divided into three sections: the
shaping of disability studies as a field, experiencing
disability, and disability in context.
Copyright Date: 2001

Abbreviations Used: LJ= Library Journal;' SLJ=School
Library Journal; PW=Publishers' Weekly; PD=Product
Details--from Publisher; A=Amazon; BN=Barnes&Noble;
K=Kirkus; BL = Booklist; CL=Children's Literature;
CM=Child's Magazine; KL (KLIATT=bimonthly magazine,
publishes reviews of paperback books, hardcover
fiction for adolescents, audiobooks, and educational
software recommended for libraries and classrooms
serving young adults V (VOYA)

***WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE
BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

A LIST OF BOOKS CURRENTLY BEING SCANNED IS AVAILABLE
AT http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

popularplace@xxxxxxxxx

 If you
> [...]
> not seem to
> have this problem), since new submissions will go
> into the mix,
> sorted with
> all the books already there.  You now have no way to
> tell if any
> new books
> have been added to authors' pages that you read.
> 6.  Of course, the bn can still not download books,
> so I do not
> know if the
> trick of renaming the .zip extension to .bks will
> still work; not
> much good,
> though, even if it does as the bn can no longer even
> get the book
> in the
> first place.
> 7.  If I am not mistaken, the sorting options are
> there for
> author pages but
> not for category pages.
>
> I have copied this email to the bookshare support
> staff and
> hopefully they
> will look at it (hopefully I got the right
> address!).  Of course
> I know that
> the downloading and unpacking issue is all on HW,
> but I am not
> very
> optomistic about our chances of seeing a solution
> very soon, and
> apparently
> (from a comment made on this list I believe) the
> classic units
> are
> completely out of luck as HW is not going to upgrade
> them at all.
> This whole
> situation is really a disappointment; Bookshare: any
> chance of a
> mobile
> version of the site, one that takes less time to
> load, has less
> options
> (only book results and account controls), and has
> the synopses on
> the same
> page to save loading a page to read a synopsis, then
> previous
> page and repeating the process? Just a thought.  If
> any of the
> above bugs and
> annoyances can be fixed by things I did not see on
> the site,
> please let me
> know; I don't care if I am wrong about all of these,
> just as long
> as
> Bookshare still works!
>

> Have a great day,
> Alex
>

> ___
> Replies to this message will go directly to the
> sender.
> If your reply would be useful to the list, please
> send a
> copy to the list as well.
>
> To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message
> To view the list archives or change your

AT