[bksvol-discuss] Re: Braillenote as display

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:54:42 -0500

I hated how the braille note worked as a display with my computer, but if
you want to try it this is how you do it.
Go to your start menu programs jaws and hit enter on tools.  In that submenu
you will find an item called installation maintenance.  When you run that it
will act a bit like a jaws installation, but you can choose modify.  At some
point in the setup you will be presented with a treeview of additional
things that can be installed with jaws.  First there is a list of
synthesizers, and then there is a list of braille displays.  Just choose
braille note from the list.  When it is finished you will need to start
jaws, but before you do, connect your braille note to the serial port you
chose.  If you use the serial port for active sync you have to remember to
uncheck the box that says allow serial connection to this computer in the
connection settings dialog in the file menu in active sync. .  You can just
recheck it when you need to use active sync again.

For information on how to actually use commands to control the display you
can look at the help provided in jaws.  Just go to the jaws help menu and
choose help toppics.  There is a "jaws and refreshable braille displays"
book, which will give you general information on using a display, and under
that there is an option called other braille displays, and in there you will
find a toppic specifically about the braille note.
I hope that helps, because I don't actually know any of the many commands
available now.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net