[bksvol-discuss] Re: Braillenote Freezing

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:43:34 -0400

My experience is that editing in keyword changes the file and your likelihood of getting file truncation increases. I would edit in .rtf if I were you. I also have the latest software (version 5.01 keysoft) and move files with Window Explorer to a compact flash card thereby cutting active-sync out of the loop.

The freezing may have something to do with the file length though this is only a guess. In general, the more flopping about between formats, the more problems. Please try translating from format to format as little as possible. That way, we can speak to the PDI folks better about large file issues in .rtf. Your freezing may truly be related to the size of the file. Please keep track of this problem and keep reporting it particularly to the PDI folks.

E. who does all my editing on the braillenote and loves it for that and other things.

At 01:10 AM 6/6/2004, you wrote:

hey do any of you experience this problem.  I have the latest software and
it has only happened when I started editing books on it.

I use a Scandisc Compact Flash card, and usually work with my books in
Keyword until they are ready to be converted to .rtf.

I have noticed, that particularly as the batter gets lower, into the fifty
percent or lower, that the unit has a habit of freezing when I am editing a
large file, like a book for Bookshare.  It froze on me twice while editing
The Slippery Slope.  Now I live by the mantra save often, so... not a ton
was lost, but.... still it is annoying.  And I find, most of the time I have
to do a soft reset to get going again, loosing the immediate changes to the
file.

Has anyone else experienced this freezing, and what did you do to remedy it,
or it is it something I can add to my list of "perhaps you should address"
type of issues with Pulsedata.  I am not really griping, ok. I am, but I do
like the Braillenote.  It is so much more reliable than my Typelites but...

Just wondering what your experience is.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com

If a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is
anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

-- Edgar Watson Howe