[bksvol-discuss] Re: Brail Displays

  • From: Caitlyn and Nicky <lavendar@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:29:43 -0500

Hi Mary Ann,

I've used both a Braille Sense and a Focus 80. Window Eyes is my main screen reader, and for my usual purposes, the Sense note taker works quite well hooked to the pc as a display. It doesn't do well as a stand alone device right now for editing bookshare books. They are supposedly working on that, though.

I did use the Focus 80 for a little while with Mark's computer with Jaws for editing and liked it, but it was a bit big for my tastes, but it did work really well with Jaws.

Both displays have nice sharp dots, you can make all sorts of adjustments, etc, and you can also adjust all sorts of things from within each screen readers settings.

Hth,
Caitlyn

On 28/01/2010 10:23 AM, Mary Anne Lynskey wrote:
Hi everybody. I'm just wondering which brail displays you are using? I have an Alva on loan right now which I really like, but I'm worried about tech support for it and was not impressed with their web site. I also have not been able to contact the manufacturer. It really is a nice display though but I am uneasy about the manufacturer, tech support, etc. I'd also appreciate any feedback from those of you who may be using the Alva. The one on loan now happens to be a Sat 544.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Mary Anne Lynskey