[bksvol-discuss] Borrowing books from other library systems

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:08:11 -0700 (PDT)

Good luck.

If interlibrary loan costs too much, maybe you can contact the Atlanta library
and explain about bookshare and why you need those books and they'll give you a
free card.

Santa Monica and Beverly Hills libraries used to give Los Angeles residents
free cards but no more, though I think the fees are a lot less than $100. And
our Los Angeles system was about to start charging for intralibrary loans, but
the public outcry was too much so they withdrew that plan. We do have to pay
interlibrary loan fees if we want books from the county library system or
others. It's understandable, I suppose, since funding for libraries seems to be
one of the first things that gets cut in time of economic crises. sigh San
Diego is great, though, and there's a consortium of nearby colleges and
universities that will allow one to request books from them for free and
they'll send to one's branch. I just received Myths of Sexuality from a nearby
state college.

G.Cindy

AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/