[bksvol-discuss] [Bookshare.org Newsletter] September 2005 News Update

  • From: "Gustavo Galindo" <Gustavo.G@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:17:58 -0700

5

  <http://www.bookshare.org/>

September, 2005

Welcome to the Bookshare.org Newsletter

September, 2005
In this issue:

Bookshare.org is an EdNet Rookie of the Year

Bookshare.org has over 24,000 accessible books

NFB-Newsline® provides more accessible publications for Bookshare.org
subscribers

You can give the gift of Bookshare.org

Susie McKinnon is Bookshare.org's Manager of Schools and Groups

Colleges and universities can share their scanned texts with Bookshare.org

Bookshare.org has books in Spanish

Learn about IDEA 2004, NIMAS, and Bookshare.org

Bookshare.org Fall Conventions Schedule

About Bookshare.org

Unsubscribe from this newsletter

Bookshare.org Newsletter, September, 2005-Hello. I'm gustavo galindo, the
Manager of the Bookshare.org Website, and the editor of this newsletter. It's
my pleasure to bring you up to date on the latest happenings at Bookshare.org,
and what we've got planned for the rest of 2005, which fall conferences we're
attending, and what we're working on for 2006.

  _____

Bookshare.org recognized for positive impact on education and important
contribution to the educational technology industry-The Heller Reports, a
leading provider of education market news and events, chose Bookshare.org as
one of this year's EdNET 2005 Industry Awards finalists. Bookshare.org is very
excited to have been awarded for its accomplishments with schools and
educational institutions throughout the United States.  The EdNET annual event
brings together companies and organizations from the high tech and education
communities. Bookshare.org was honored as one of three "Rookie of the Year"
organizations which has the greatest promise to become a significant player in
the technology industry in coming years.

  _____

Bookshare.org has over 24,000 accessible ebooks!-By adding about 100 new titles
to our online collection every week, Bookshare.org's collection has grown to
over 24,000 books, available to our subscribers in either BRF (digital Braille)
or DAISY (talking book) format 24 hours a day seven days a week.
We've recently added these best-selling fiction and non-fiction books to our
collection

*         The Mermaid Chair
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=31635>  by Sue
Monk Kidd <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=11618>

*         Point Blank: An FBI Thriller
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=33237>  by
Catherine Coulter
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=3181>

*         Polar Shift: A Novel from the NUMA Files
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=33420>  by Paul
Kemprecos <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=8419> ,
Clive Cussler <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=990>

*         The World is Flat
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=32379>  by Thomas
L. Friedman <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=8136>

*         1776
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=32247>  by David
McCullough <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAuthor.html?author_id=5062>

You can always get the listings of our newest books by browsing our new books
page. Click here to visit the Bookshare.org New Books page in a new browser
window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksNew.html> . You can also browse our
books by your favorite category. Click here to visit the Bookshare.org
Categories page in a new browser window
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByCategory.html> . New this year, you can do
a simple search or an advanced search for authors and titles on Bookshare.org.
Click here to go to the Bookshare.org Simple Search page in a new browser
window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksBySimpleSearch.html>  or the
Bookshare.org Advanced Search page in a new browser window
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksByAdvancedSearch.html> .

  _____

NFB-Newsline® Newspapers and Magazines on Bookshare.org-Well into its second
year, this program continues to grow in popularity and content. Through an
arrangement with the NFB-Newsline® service, we are able to offer current
accessible copies of over 100 of the country's leading national and regional
newspapers and magazines for download in DAISY and BRF formats. Access is
limited to residents of states that sponsor this service. Click here to learn
more about Bookshare.org's NFB-Newsline® content and its sponsoring states in a
new browser window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/MembersPeriodicals.html> .

  _____

 Give a Bookshare.org subscription-Did you know that while you have to be a
person with a verified print-disability to become a Bookshare.org subscriber,
if you know somebody who meets eligibility criteria, you can give them a gift
subscription for only $75.00? They'll get access to the latest best-sellers as
well as magazines and newspapers, all in accessible formats. Click here to
visit the Bookshare.org Gift Subscription Information page in a new browser
window <http://www.bookshare.org/web/MembersGiftSubInfo.html> . If you need
additional information please write to gifts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:gifts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=I%20want%20more%20info%20on%20giving%20Bookshare.org%20as%20a%20gift.>
 .

  _____

Susie Mckinnon is the Bookshare.org Manager of School and Group Accounts-Susie
Mckinnon joined the Bookshare.org Team in May of this year to refocus our
efforts to improve service to our Member Schools and Organizations. If you're
affiliated with a school or organization and you need help setting up or
updating your organization's account, please send an email to Susie Mckinnon
(groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
<mailto:groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=My%20organization%20needs%20help%20with%20Bookshare.org>

  _____

Post-secondary Textbook Sharing Guidelines-We've developed a series of
guidelines that help our member organizations share their post-secondary-level
textbooks with the Bookshare.org community (yes, you can legally do this). We
have successful partnerships with the University of Indiana, the University of
Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Teachers' College of Columbia University, and the
University of Montana among others. Help us increase the number of accessible
college-level textbooks available nationwide, help eliminate duplication of
effort, and earn credits for sponsoring your organization's qualifying
print-disabled students. Please send an email to Susie Mckinnon
(groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
<mailto:groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=My%20organization%20wants%20info%20on%20post-secondary%20textbook%20sharing%20guidelines.>
 .

  _____

Accessible books in Spanish-Thanks to a grant from the CFTC,(Community
Technology Foundation of California, zerodivide.org <http://zerodivide.org/>
(opens a new browser window), Bookshare.org is able to make accessible books
available in Spanish. Click here to go to a current list of Bookshare.org's
current Spanish-language titles in a new browser window
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/LibrosAnnounce.html> . Spanish-speaking people
who reside in the state of California with certified print-disabilities may be
eligible to receive a year-long subscription to Bookshare.org at no cost. Write
to us at libros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:libros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Books%20in%20Spanish/Libros%20en%20español.>
  for more information on how you, a family-member or friend can become a
subscriber.

  _____

IDEA 2004, NIMAS and Bookshare.org-IDEA 2004 (Individuals with Disabilities
Education Act) is the latest from Congress ensuring that schools provide a
"free and appropriate education" to all students with disabilities regardless
of the type or severity. Part of the latest version of IDEA is a new national
standard for digital K-12 textbooks: NIMAS, the National Instructional
Materials Accessibility Standard will be in effect by 2006. NIMAS is quite
similar to the DAISY books Bookshare.org already distributes, but with
additional navigation and content tagging. Bookshare.org is an authorized
entity to distribute NIMAS-compliant content when it becomes available. To help
people learn more about NIMAS, CAST (Center for Applied Special Technology),
has set up an informational website. Click here to visit http://nimas.cast.org/
in a new browser window <http://nimas.cast.org/> .

  _____

Bookshare.org is at these Fall conventions-The Bookshare.org team is traveling
around the country this fall. If you will be at any of these events, please
track us down, stop by our booth, attend our scheduled presentations to hear
what's new and share your thoughts:

*       employmentAccess2005, September 28-29, Mountain View, California
*       Closing The Gap, October 20-22, Minneapolis Minnesota
*       Learning Disabilities Association, California session, Oct.27-29,
Concord, CA
*       Calstate CEC (Calstate Council for Exceptional Children) Nov. 10-12
*       IDA International Dyslexia Association (national) Nov. 9-12, Denver, CO
*       Accessing Higher Ground, Nov. 11, Boulder, CO (presentation only)
*       PATINS conference -Indiana Schools (Promoting Achievement through
Technology for Indiana Students), Nov.16-17, Indianapolis, Indiana

  _____

About Bookshare.org, Books without Barriers-Bookshare.org is an online
community that enables people in the United States with visual or other print
disabilities to legally share scanned books.

*         Where do the digital books come from?
The Bookshare.org collection is built and shaped primarily by its community of
members and supporters. By scanning a book to submit to the collection, a
Bookshare.org member can provide all other members access to that book.

*         Who can access the books?
Copyrighted digital books are available only to U.S. residents who have a
disability that affects print reading and have a current subscription.
Organizations such as schools can sponsor subscriptions for their students. A
limited number of books are available to non-U.S. residents because of
publisher permission. Click here to visit our website to find out more:
www.bookshare.org/web/AboutInternationalMembership.html in a new browser window
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutInternationalMembership.html> .

*         Why is Bookshare.org legal?
In general, it would be illegal to share or distribute copyrighted books.
However, Bookshare.org takes advantage of a special exemption in U.S. copyright
law that permits the reproduction of publications into specialized formats for
the disabled.  This project is possible under the law in the United States, as
long as the copyrighted digital books are only available to people in the U.S.
with bona fide disabilities and the nonprofits and schools that serve them. For
more information, click here to visit our website at
www.bookshare.org/web/Legalities.html in a new browser window
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/Legalities.html> .

*         Who is providing Bookshare.org?
Bookshare.org is a project of the Benetech Initiative, a nonprofit
organization.  The Benetech team originally developed the Arkenstone reading
systems, and is now using the power of technology to introduce new projects
such as Bookshare.org.

*         www.benetech.org <http://www.benetech.org/>  (opens a new browser
window)
The Benetech Initiative
480 California Ave., Suite 201
Palo Alto, CA  94306
USA

  _____

How to unsubscribe-You received this newsletter because you indicated that
preference when you signed up for Bookshare.org or when you visited our booth
at a conference. If you prefer not to receive this newsletter, simply reply to
this email and indicate your preference in your response, or send email to
admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 .

How to subscribe-Stay in touch with the developments of Bookshare.org through
the quarterly email newsletter. Sign up to receive the newsletter by sending an
email with "subscribe" in the subject line to bookshare-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:bookshare-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe> . Join our online
discussion group by sending an email with "subscribe" in the subject line to
bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:Bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe> .

 www.bookshare.org

Flexibility

Download accessible books in DAISY or BRF formats--which work with most
adaptive technologies

Subscription Options

Sign up for an Individual Subscription or School and Group Account

Accessibility

Subscriptions are ideal for qualifying students and adults who are
Visually-Impaired, Learning Disabled or Mobility Impaired

Our Collection

Read fiction and non-fiction bestsellers, classics, textbooks, newspapers and
magazines

Learn More Today

Visit Bookshare.org <http://www.bookshare.org>

About Membership <http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutMembership.html>

Individual Subscriptions
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutIndividualSubscriptions.html>

Schools & Groups <http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutGroupAccounts.html>

Press Room <http://www.bookshare.org/web/PressRoom.html>

Partners <http://www.bookshare.org/web/Partners.html>

Legal Information <http://www.bookshare.org/web/Legalities.html>

Contact Us <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SupportContactUs.html>

Bookshare.org was created and is maintained by Benetech, a nonprofit
organization. Copyright © 2001-2005. All other product names are the trademarks
of their respective manufacturers.

The Bookshare trademark is used under license from its registered owner,
Follett Library Resources division of Follett Corporation.

  <http://www.benetech.org/>

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image