[bksvol-discuss] Bookshare.org Management Update

  • From: <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:52:37 -0800

I wanted to share some news with our Bookshare.org volunteer and user
community. Janice Carter will be leaving Benetech to pursue other
interests in the social enterprise field.  I hope you all join me in
wishing Janice well as she pursues her newest opportunity!

Lisa Friendly, our Senior Product Manager, will be taking over Janice's
responsibilities on an interim basis as we decide on our next steps.
I'm sure we will recruit someone to replace Janice, but will take some
time to do our best to find the right fit given our current plans and
team.

I'm writing from New York today, where I've been meeting with publishers
about expanding our direct access to digital book content, and
permitting us to serve people with disabilities outside the U.S.  The
conversations have been going well: I expect add at least one major new
publisher to our partners.  We've also raised a lot of money in the last
couple of months for Bookshare.org, funding that will enable us to do
more engineering than we've done in the last couple of years.  Moreover,
we've just added two new senior engineers to our team, John Crossman and
Rick Tan, who are driving ahead with the plans Lisa has been formulating
(Lisa was brought on board to focus on driving progress on the
engineering front with Bookshare.org).  We also have a new, accessible
bug tracking database that has been loaded with many of the issues we
have talked about but not yet fixed.

I look forward to us sharing more definitive plans in the coming months.
Thanks for your support of the Bookshare.org dream!

Jim

Jim Fruchterman

President and CEO

Benetech