[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare & PQ submission

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:32:34 -0500

Well said Jim.

I suspect this discussion will go on, perhaps in a different guise, for some time to come. I don't think the discussion has much to do with publisher quality books--though the argument about picture descriptions does have some merit. Let me give you a brief example of the effort involved in getting a picture description. Some time ago I validated "Time enough for Love" a science fiction classic. It had been scanned by Carry Carno. Those validators who are familiar with her work know that her scans are usually excellent. However, this book had one page that seemed to be filled with garbage characters. By applying several tricks of the trade, I could tell that there was some writing there, I could even pick out a few words. But the page was ... basically ... a waste. I contacted Carry and gave her a page number. She wrote back and told me that the page was a picture of a newspaper page; she further told me what the page said. I duly reported this in the book as a [scanner's description].

I bring this up to say that this collaborative effort between ms Carno and myself will be brushed aside as inconsequential if a publisher ever decides to send us this book. It's a minor thing--it's one page in a 400 page book. And it may seem meaningless. But for me, it represented a not-so-meaningless effort; and I take pride in taking care of that inconsistency.

I realize that change is inevitable, and change is usually good. However, since we've replaced the horse and carriage with the horseless carriage; does anyone ever take the time to smell the wonderful smells of the leather saddle, or to enjoy the human interaction with a trusted animal friend? Not so much anymore, I think!

As I said earlier, this discussion will probably continue in a variety of email subjects as those of us involved adjust to the changes to come.

Thanks again for enlightening us on this matter.

Oh yes, lest I be accused of trying to speak for the group, the ideas discussed here are solely my own, and I alone am responsible for them.

Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>