[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare & PQ submission

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 06:08:58 +0000

 E.

Publishers make mistakes, too. I recently wrote Random House about some problems with both the Modern Library and the paperback version of Faulkner's The Hamlet, repeated errors since they used the same plate, and was told that the errors were corrected in the one volume edition of The Snopes Trilogy, which though a name for the 3 books therein was not a name given them as a book as he had published them separately and were not nor should they have been considered one book. Only after the author's death did the publisher correct the typo or other errors in the printed versions and only in the one volume edition.

It is one of the few times I have corrected errors in a publishers text because the separate volumes are still the standard form that students read and that exist in most people's libraries and is also still the one easier to deal with: 3 volumes each of under 400 pages rather than one of almost 1000 pages. So, I double checked with the 3 volume set to make sure that my corrections were, in fact, correct and went ahead and submitted the single volume which, I am glad to say, is now in the collection. I am now in the process of scanning The Town and will add it and, eventually, The Mansion, to the collection with all necessary corrections.

Amy
--
It if be now, 'tis not to come,
If it be not to come, it will be now,