[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare Housekeeping Suggestion

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 12:47:04 -0400

Hi, Tony. I agree that there are books that don't scan well due to age or font. However, of the last 4 books I've worked on where that were rated as good or fair, it was obvious that the person didn't even do a spell check. I saw lots of words like cornpletely that would have been caught by a spellchecker. Even older versions of scanning software have a spellchecker. You intimate that since modern scanning software works well, submitters don't do much work anymore. Many of us who submit books rated excellent spend hours prevalidating our books, removing headers, running the spellchecker, and reading through the text to catch scannos. If a submitter has done this kind of work, why should he/she wait in line behind a sloppy person who won't even run a spellchecker to catch major errors? If a book is difficult the scan, the submitter can indicate that in the comments when he submits a book. Then people will know that this book will require some TLC and can devote time to it accordingly.

Monica Willyard