[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare And Portable Computing Devices

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:46:26 -0500

Monica,

Windows has something it calls a Briefcase which is made for your situation.
A Briefcase is a special type of folder which will help you synchronize
files between a PC and a laptop or a PC and a flash drive.

If you can copy the files directly from your PC to your laptop through a
Wireless LAN or if you plan to hook up your laptop to your home network
using the laptop's Ethernet connection and transfer files, then you'd want
to create a Briefcase folder on your laptop's hard drive and copy the files
from your PC into it.

If you plan to use a flash card to transfer the files to the laptop, then
you'd want to create the Briefcase folder on the flash card and leave the
files in it instead of copying them to the laptop's hard drive to work on
them.

You create a Briefcase folder the same way you'd create a regular folder,
except there's a separate item further down in the File New list that says
Briefcase.

Once the files have been copied to the Briefcase folder, you can work on
them in that special folder while on the laptop and use the built-in
Briefcase features to synchronize the files between the PC and the laptop or
flash card.  No matter whether or not the latest copy of the file is the
original file or the copy in the Briefcase folder, the Briefcase's
synchronization feature will copy the latest version to the other place and
keep you up to date in both places.  You should be able to access the
built-in features from the context menu if you pres  the key to the left of
the right Control key while on, and possibly while in,  the Briefcase
folder.

This is a little more complicated than only keeping the files on the flash
card, but it will also provide a backup copy of the files in case something
happens, so you'll want to decide which method is better for you.

If you choose to try the Briefcase method and run into a bit of trouble,
then let me know.  BTW, there's a bit of info about briefcases in the
Windows Help and a bit in the Windows XP Hacks and Windows XP Pro The
Missing Manual books which are in the collection if you'd like to read   the
same info on Briefcases that I did.

HTH

Gerald