[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books with pics?

  • From: "Allison" <alwaysallie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:01:50 -0400

Hi Darrell,

The book I was talking about specifically when I started this thread was one which could definitely be enjoyed without pic descriptions. I read it originally in a college children's literature class. The professor read it to us because it was the most recent Caldecott Award winner. She read it to the class, and I had no picture descriptions while she read. I still loved the book! The class was so amazed by the quality of the illustrations, but I found myself not caring. I didn't feel like I was missing out, it was just a good book. I think perhaps people place too much importance on pictures sometimes. Plus, isn't it better for kids to get exposed to pictureless books, than never exposed to such great works at all?

Allison

----- Original Message ----- From: "Darrell Shandrow" <darrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Jana Jackson" <jana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:38:13 -0500
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi, Cindy! As long as the text can be scanned, it's fine to submit > books
> that would normally contain pictures. The problem is that sometimes, > if a
> picture is in the middle of a page with text before and after it, you > have
> to remove tons of junk characters! <Smile> Still, if a person has the
> patience to deal with them, it's okay to go for it. Take care!
>
> Jana
>
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Cindy" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>

------- End of Original Message -------
Hi, Cindy! Unfortunately, you're correct, Bookshare cannot retain pictures.
Hopefully, Anastasia will have someone who can describe the pictures for her,
as I'm sure they add a lot to the story. <Smile>

BTW, I hope this e-mail comes through. I am going on a cruise in a few weeks,
so I'm experimenting to see if I'll be able to use the computers on the ship
to check my e-mail. I'm using FreedomBox, a Web browser designed for visually
impaired folks, and I'm checking my messages through my Web site. I know
that's clear as mud, but I think this just might work. I doubt that I'll be
checking my e-mail very much, though. <LOL> Take care!

Jana