[bksvol-discuss] Books unfairly 'faired' -- submission system enhancements?

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:10:33 -0600

In "The Brat" the entire book was excellent, except for the first name of
the author being misspelled in the title page.  This may have been a case
of a submittor being underconfident of his/her scanning prowess.

Unfortunately the Bookshare engine does not perform an automated quality
rating at submission time,  so the initial rating remains purely a matter
of the submitter's opinion.

I hope that eventually the submission system will include a quality
assessment.  Furthermore,  it may be useful to add the value "I don't
know" in the initial submission panel's quality radio button.

Guido

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
01/29/2008 11:41 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: fair books I rejected are back on step 1 -- The Brat
was unfairly 'faired'

I agree that one needs to look at them, check them
out. I've taken some in which the first few pages were
pretty bad and I was thinking of rejecting them but
then the book started to be quite problem-free--until
the last few pages. grin So fixing it wasn't bad.

G.Cindy

<http://people.delphiforums.com/jamiecalton/Book_Requests.htm>

<http://studentpages.alma.edu/~07jmyate/book_requests.htm>

<http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>