[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books on the Step 1 Page

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:50:01 -0400

Dear Lora, Carrie, Jake  and Volunteer Friends,

Since last night I've been troubled by Jake's admonishment to Carrie to scan
fewer books for Bookshare. It was unthinkable that one of our most
conscientious, loyal, volunteers who is so willing to scan special interest
books for all of us would be so systematically and publicly criticized. Lori,
you said almost everything that was in my heart for me.

Carrie, I'd still be day dreaming about and fruitlessly searching for a scanner
for some of the Celtic and Tolkien books that I've loved reading and have added
to the collection, without your efforts. Please carry on as usual.

All that I would add is a question. Are the Bookshare tools being overwhelmed
by the number of books on the step one page? If not, I don't see the harm in it
for them to linger there as inspiration to the diverse volunteers who will
eventually discover them and gratefully and enthusiastically validate them. How
can we ever catch up with Project Gutenberg if we discourage scans? (asked
rhetorically as mild humor.)

Finally, Jake, you are a computer genius and extremely helpful to Bookshare and
to this list. Diplomacy is a completely different skill every bit as
complicated as electronics. Diplomacy takes time and experience to learn. As a
list monitor you're getting an, on the job, crash course in it. You deserve our
patience, understanding and admiration as you adjust to your multi-faceted role
as list monitor. I wouldn't even attempt doing your job, or Gerald's or
Kellie's; not even for a fifty thousand dollar gift certificate for new
electronics and another fifty thousand dollar certificate to pay a full time
teacher to educate me to use
my new treasures.

Always with love,

Lissi

"Maybe I should write a book called one hundred and one ways to use a frying
pan."
Sam Gamgee
in Tolkien fanfiction by Alatariel