[bksvol-discuss] Books on animals anyone want to validate

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:29:03 -0500

Hi you all, your prolific scanner here with a question.

I came across this fabulous series, was one my public library purchased
unseen and has turned out to be quite fantastic.

There are fifty volumes in it, and it covers all Animals of the World,

birds, mammals, fish, insects, reptiles and amphibians, and I believe
Invertebrates too.

anyway.  I have the first thirteen  volumes scanned and they have sat on my
BN as it needs some reformatting and labeling of pictures and protection of
chapter headings.

The books are set up like this.

General article about a family group

example "Weasels"

Then individual articles about members of that family like.
long tailed weasel, striped skunk, river otter, Giant river otter... ect.

Each individual article has a block at the beginning that lists

Common Name:
Scientific Name
Family
Order
Size in height and weight
Habits
habitat
Voice
Key Features
Distribution
Statis

Then there is an blurb about the animal.

The first ten volumes are.

Small Carnivores (I am almost done editing this one)
Large Carnivores
Sea mammals
Primates
Large Herbivores
Horned Ruminant Animals
Insectivores
Rodents 1
Rodents 2
Marsupials.

And then we go into birds.

Which I have

Sea Birds
Shore Birds
Water Birds

I think it would be a very valuable resource for BS.  has a lot of great
info.  I read my little brother the article on the "Fossa" which is the
"enemy" in the movie Madagascar.  We found quite a lot about this 44 LB
critter that looks like a cat.  A lot of the stuff in the movie is
inaccurate by the way, smile.

Anyway.  Is anyone willing to edit the other volumes.  I can submit them as
they are, obviously I tried to get the best scans.

Normally my work so far has involved.
1. Blocking the "info block" together.
2. labeling pictures with "caption:"
3. Getting rid of blank space.
4. Protecting article headings
 and spelling and removing Junk chars as I go along.  Which so far there
aren't a lot of them.

Anyway let me know, and if so which ones, and I would be glad to submit
them.

I don't need the credit, and obviously they will wait till I get around to
them, in between other more pressing stuff on the BN, so... you can take
your time.  They are very recent most published in 2003 and 2004.  With some
being published this year.  I am planning to pick up three or four more of
the bird volumes and maybe an insect or fish one when I go tomorrow.

All of them are about 149 pages, and there are Indexes and a "family" chart
that I have given up on organizing which cuts down on the page matter.  I
think it is a great series, gives very detailed descriptions of the animals,
lists animals from around the world, and is generally a good resource.  Is
designed for middle school but older readers can enjoy them too, and I found
the language to be at a seventh grade level for almost adult language.

My goal is to scan as many of them as I can while I am home, and then edit
them as I have time.  want to get the entire series up on BS someday.  But
of course could go a lot faster with help, smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.