[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books in other languages

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:58:34 -0500

I suppose it answers my question. I was already aware that Japanese and Chinese words could be rendered in Roman letters even though I did not know what it was called nor how it is done. After all, in my general reading I often come across names and words in Chinese that are spelled out in Roman letters. I do wonder, though, just how easy it is to convert the Chinese calligraphs to Roman letters. I can imagine that it might be something that is very easy with a set of rules that could be followed almost mechanically and a whole book could be done in short order. In a case like that a computer might be able to do it in minutes. I can also imagine that it might be a job on the same order as translating the entire book in which case it would be a major undertaking.

On 2/12/2012 11:59 AM, Ixchel Larrauri wrote:
Hi Roger,
Like I said, there is Chinese braille but our computers don't support
that. Now you are talking about Roman alphabets, Chinese has a pin yin
which goes by sylables and letters. I think, that it can indeed be
done so that the Chinese and Japanese books can get on bookshare. Does
that answer your question?
Jackie