[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books in other languages

  • From: Ixchel Larrauri <starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:07:04 -0500

Hi,
That was exactly my concern. You see, I'm taking Chinese at school so
I was just wondering. I know that there is Chinese braille and pin yin
(the Chinese phonetic spelling system) so I was just wondering. I
think that it would be great for bookshare to put books in other
languages but it would be hard. I would however, be willing to do that
but I might be the only blind crazy person that wants to take such
languages. I mean, in Chinese if you spell the word very it is hen but
if you use a different tone when you are saying it, you could be
saying something mean or bad. Take for example, the word ben. If you
use tone 4 with it, it means stupid, but if you use tone 3 with it, I
think (pretty sure) that it is a measurement word for books. Anyway,
sorry for boring you with this rant but my point is, how would/could
bookshare even do that. Right now, I'm trying to learn Chinese Braille
but that alone wouldn't solve the whole tone thing. In class I use pin
yin and put the tone of the word right after it. Again, I am so so
sorry for going on a boring rant, it was just an obvservation I
noticed when doing my book search.
Also, what is a special search?
Jackie

On 2/11/12, Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think there, because there are bookshare members now in India, and other
> countries. you might try looking for books in the pecial search. Except for
> Spanish, or if one has the print book to use to proof, it's hard to process
> them; in fact, since our keyboards don't have characters for Chinese at al.
> I did proof a book that had a lot of Hawaiian words in it
> Cindy

du ut de