[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books in other languages

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:35:15 -0600

Hi Roger!

I studied some Japanese in adult education a number of years ago. The books we had were using the Roman letters. Towards the end of my studies, they started a book that introduced the Japanese characters that represent the sounds of their spoken language syllables, and gradually introduced Chinese characters, which the Japanese use extensively in their writing. So, yes, as long as the Roman alphabet is used, there could be books on learning the spoken language.

I studied a little Russian too. I'm surprised Bookshare has Russian language books, since Cyrillic is an alphabet that I don't have any OCR software that could recognize Russian.

Debby

At 09:42 AM 2/12/2012, Roger Loran Bailey wrote
I just took a look at those languages myself and, indeed, there are no books listed in Chinese or Japanese, but I do notice that Russian is there. That Cyrillic alphabet would be kind of hard to render too. Unless, I suppose, it had already been converted to Roman letters. If that is the case then Chinese or Japanese could be treated the same way, couldn't they?

On 2/12/2012 12:12 AM, Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi Jackie,

I doubt that Bookshare has books in Japanese or Chinese.  Those languages
don't use the same alphabet and conversion would be very very complicated.
Here's how you can check.

Go to advanced search, and in the area for language, see what your options
are.  If the language you want is listed there, then there is at least one
book in that language.  If a language is not listed in the list of languages
from which you can choose, well then, there aren't any books in that
language.

Mayrie