[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books I'll be working on

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:32:21 -0500

Dilsia,

Having K-1000 or even OpenBook can be helpful, but as you've probably
discovered, having one of them isn't necessary.  Bookshare doesn't use
either one in-house, only Fine Reader and Word, or at least I believe Word
is Carrie's personal choice.  If you see the need, then You can still clean
up some books in the collection by asking Gustavo to put a book from the
collection back on the Step 1 page for you to revalidate.  Otherwise, you'd
lose the page breaks when converting a book back to RTF in order to clean it
up and resubmit, and as you've probably heard, Bookshare hasn't accepted
books without page breaks for the past year.

As you noticed, Gustavo's definitely been busy approving books lately.
Besides cutting the admin queue down by 500 books recently and keeping it
around 50 or below, he's also managed to nearly double the number of Spanish
books in the collection from books which were donated to Bookshare.  I
believe these are the books which are going through the minimal validation
process and being rated Fair as default due to a need for more volunteering
from people fluent in Spanish, so if you can confirm that some deserve
having their quality upgraded, then I'm sure Bookshare would like to know
and adjust their rating.

Nice to have you back on the list.

HTH

Gerald