[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books I will be scanning

  • From: Jamie Yates <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:27:47 -0400

Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster has been submitted. It is a very funny
book!

It's possible that my high self-esteem is bad for my health.

"To whom the fat rolls . . . I'm tired of books where a self-loathing
heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of
a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be
happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories
uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy
champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure
out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being
overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a healthy
dose of positive self-esteem. It's a health matter, and here on the eve of
my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know,
die. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose
a foot to adult-onset diabetes?"

--
Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading: Lost Lake by Phillip Margolin