[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books I am scanning

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 11:57:52 EST

Before I went blind I was a chess player. Among tournament players I was one
of the worst. Among casual players I was one of the best. I can't say that my
loss of eyesight had anything to do with my giving it up because I had drifted
away from it quite some time before that happened anyway, but even though I
am very aware that many blind people play chess I have a hard time imagining
how I could. Chess was a highly visual experience for me. It involved taking in
the entire board at once and comparing the relation of pieces and their
positions to each other. Then again, I may have had an experience that showed
that I
could do it after all. I remember being in college in a dormitory room when I
was challenged to a chess game. I was lying down at the time so I let the
other person set up the board and because of something like laziness I started
the game by calling out my moves without sitting up and looking at the board.
We
had started out with a standard opening and I thought I would play like that
just a few moves before I sat up. The game actually progressed more than a few
moves and to my surprise and to the surprise of my opponent and to the
surprise of a couple of observers I was actually winning. Eventually my
opponent
started muttering about how he did not see how I was doing it and, frankly, I
didn't either. It was about that time that I started feeling something like
embarrassment and claimed that my memory was beginning to fail and so I sat up
and
began looking at the board. Actually, though, I could have continued. I never
tried that again and I still don't know how I could have done it and I still
don't know how I could play chess as a blind person.

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books I am scanning
Date:
1/4/2009 10:15:49 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi mariann, that book may be a bit of a challenge to scan.  I am working on
the Complete idiots Guide to chess.

The one bit of advise from playing chess, is to have a physical chess board
in front of you while you are playing or reading the books.  It just makes the
moves conceps and ideas much more clearer.  A functional and good set can be
bought for $20 from
www.braillebookstore.com
  there are other sets but tis one is a good beginner one and not a huge
investment when others can cost twice to three times as much.  It isn't a
conversation
piece though as the others can be, as it is pretty rough but functional.

But I have a feeling from workng on other "for Dummies" books that you are
going to need some sighted assistance with it.  have fun with the chess.  I
started
learning chess through the hadley course.

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of
their act as violence;
 rather they thought of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness.
 The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever committed.
-Gil Bailie, author and lecturer (b. 1944)

block quote