[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books By Publisher

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:01:35 EDT

That is a good question. I doubt that these publishers that are supplying
publisher quality books are supplying every book they have ever published,
especially books that went out of print before electronic text files were
invented. I think the point is that if you scan and submit a book that is
published by a publisher that supplies electronic books to Bookshare you stand a
better chance that your copy will be replaced than you would if you scanned
and submitted a book from another publisher. Even then the other publisher
might one day become one that supplies electronic texts to Bookshare. It would
be good to find a way to determine which books by those cooperating
publishers will be safe to scan. I think there are databases that list in print
books and if your book is not on the list it would probably be safe to scan,
but I don't know for sure because some publishers might retain electronic
files of some of their older books that they are not actively printing and
selling. Does anyone else here have any ideas about how research can be
conducted
to determine which books by a cooperating publisher are unlikely to be
supplied?

                                                          "I find
capitalism repugnant. It is filthy, it is gross, it is alienating... because it
causes war, hypocrisy and competition." Fidel Castro

The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books By Publisher
Date:
6/18/2009 12:32:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
deniset@xxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

So If a book we want to scan is produced by a
publisher who donates books we don't scan it.
Does that mean that publishers who donate to BS
give a copy of every book they publish? And what
about past books by that publisher. How far do
they go bacdk in terms of their donations?

Denise
At 05:39 AM 6/18/2009, you wrote:

>No, what we did before was advise people to
>check the list of publishers just so they
>wouldn't find after submitting a book that
>bookshare was getting it from the publisher.
>When you choose a book you want to scan, you'll
>finfd the name of the publisher possibly on the
>title page or certainly on the copyright page.
>Then if that publisher is on the list of
>publishers donating books you'll know not to
>waste your time scanning it.scan it. At first
>publisher-donated books were replacing books we
>volunteers had scanned, because presumably they were of better quality.
>Cindy
>
>Wish List (i.e., books wanted added to the
>collection) and books-being-scanned list available at sites below
>

>Wish List: https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/Bookshare+Wish+List
>
>Books Being Scanned List:
>https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/Books+Being+Scanned+List

Download the AOL Classifieds Toolbar for local deals at your
fingertips.