[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: The Library of Congress

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:39:54 -0500

Yes, you read that right, am getting Educational on you all.  smile.  I came
across two books on well the LOC at my library, and this was the newest one.
Interesting reading and in a lot of ways the LOC is the reason we have the
book culture we do today.  Anyway.  under the .rtf section of the website,
needs a spell check to get rid of those pesky split words besides that read
through and fixed other errors. 116 pages.

The Library of Congress (Know Your Government)
Andrew L. Simpson

THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS was founded in 1800 to aid members of Congress in
the drafting of legislation. From a collection of just 152 books, the
Library's holdings, as well as the number of people the Library assists,
have increased through the years. Today it is the largest library in the
world, with more than 85 million items: Its collections include books, maps,
manuscripts, prints, photographs, sound recordings, motion pictures, and
musical works. Through the Congressional Research Service and the Law
Library, it still provides research assistance to members of Congress. But
it also offers a wide variety of services to the public: It loans books and
provides cataloging and bibliographic assistance to other libraries,
distributes Braille and talking books to the blind, and administers the
Copyright Office. The Library of Congress also serves as a cultural center
by presenting exhibits, concerts, and poetry readings. Today the Library of
Congress is actively exploring new technologies, including paper
deacidification and optical disk storage, to preserve its collections for
future generations.

THE KNOW YOUR GOVERNMENT series is an introduction to the history and
functions of the various departments and agencies that make up our national
government. The series is designed to present an overview that is
comprehensive and yet accessible for young readers and others who require a
broad, straightforward introduction to the workings of the federal
government.

Each volume in the series focuses on the history, purpose, and scope of a
different government department or agency. The books are generously
illustrated and are written by experts in the fields of history, politics,
law, and government.

The introduction, "Government: Crises of Confidence," by the Pulitzer
Prize-winning historian Arthur M. Schlesinger, jr., places the federal
government in historical context and explains the purpose of the series.
"Without an understanding of government, we cannot have the informed
criticism that makes government do the job right. It is the duty of every
American citizen

to know our government-which is what this series is all about."

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com