[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: Beyond the Cross and the Switchblade

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:10:50 -0500

Book submitted, I can submit again, this is good.

Read through, should be easy validation.  stripped headers ahead of time.
under the .rtf section of the website.
Beyond the Cross and the Switchblade
By David Wilkerson
From the Book Jacket:
author, David Wilkerson, what has happened since its publication in the
early 1960s. Their gratifying interest in his story and his ministry has
prompted him to bring his many readers up-to-date with a fitting sequel-and
BEYOND THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE is just the book we've all been waiting
for.
Here is a nostalgic look back at memorable characters from the original book
and a brief review of what they're doing today. We are treated to a
behind-the- scenes look at the making of the movie version of THE CROSS AND
THE SWITCHBLADE, starring Pat Boone, and find that, surprisingly, the
venture brought fame but not fortune.
The publicity accompanying the book and the movie turned the skinny preacher
from Pennsylvania into a reluctant celebrity, and eventually forced him to
withdraw from the rat race for a while. Only then was he able to place
things in their proper perspective-waiting upon "Holy Ghost timing," as he
puts it-thus renewing his person-to-person ministry that had been
temporarily sidetracked by other commitments. The past decade was filled
with many ups and downs for the entire Wilkerson family, and David frankly
recounts it all: his wife Gwen's gallant bout with cancer, his brother
Jerry's now- conquered battle with alcoholism.
Yet BEYOND THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE is far more than reminiscences of
THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE; it is a very now book in which David
Wilkerson speaks directly
to the most pressing needs of today. A large portion of the book is
concerned with the phenomenon of drugs in the suburbs. Unfortunately, in the
years since David Wilkerson labored for the Lord in the back alleys of the
ghettos, drug use has spread to the backyards of suburbia. A chapter is
devoted to the related subject of the forgotten teen-agers, those good,
clean-cut kids of relative affluence who nevertheless have many serious
problems and who need to come to Jesus just as desperately as their more
publicized contemporaries, the juvenile delinquents. All in all, David
Wilkerson's Teen Challenge is constantly redirecting itself to meet these
new challenges.
Throughout, spiritual lessons intermingle with heartwarming human interest
episodes to imbue BEYOND THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE with that singular,
"can't put it down" quality that marks a sure-fire best seller.

The Trusting Place Two Odd "Success" Stories The Day I Quit the Rat Race
Drugs in the Suburbs The Forgotten Teen-Ager The Fear I Couldn't Conquer

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com