[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: All Things Herriot

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:47:54 -0400

I am slowly trying to knock down the pile of stuff on my Compact flash card,
the poor thing takes forever to load as it is so loaded with stuff.  Course,
I should stop scanning new stuff to add to it right?

Anyway, this was one of those books that sounded great, so I borrowed it,
scanned it and found it wasn't exactly my cup of tea at this current moment.
Smile.  Is a commentary as well as biography of John White, also known as
James Herriot and his writing.  See synopsis below.  It sounds great but not
something I wanted to read right now.

I do hope someone will give it the TLC and make it into a perfect book which
I know it could be.

From the book Jacket:
Millions of people, young and old, the world over, love James Herriot. He is
their friend. They feel they know him as one might know an uncle or a
neighbor. They wish they had a doctor like him, one who really cares and
makes house calls. They are more familiar with "his" life than they are with
the lives of political leaders.

All Things Herriot is the first fulllength book about this best-selling
author, whose work, adapted for television, has swept through the world in
one of the most popular and enduring series of all times: All Creatures
Great and Small. Sanford Sternlicht offers a comprehensive, upto-the-moment
evaluation of the Herriot achievements, and it offers the most detailed
biography of the real Herriot, James Alfred Wight, in print to date.

He explores how this goodnatured veterinarian came into existence and how he
developed over the course of the series of books. How and why Herriot made
the transition to television is examined as well as the effect the shows had
on audiences. This is the story of the "creating" of James Herriot, how he
captured the imagination of popular culture. This simple man, with his
profound love for all creatures in his peaceable kingdom, has earned for
himself a secure and enduring place in the hearts and minds of readers and
viewers.

Sanford Sternlicht is part-time professor of English at Syracuse University
and a poet, critic, and theater director. His books include C. S. Forester,
John Galsworthy, R. F. Delderfield, and Stevie Smith. He has also edited a
series of books collecting the short stories, poetry, and plays of Padraic
Colum, as well as a book on the life and works of Stevie Smith

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.