[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book request from someone

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 11:38:54 -0400

I doubt very much that any ARC copies will be on sale at the convention. That would tend to get the publisher very upset. ARCs are intended for promotional purposes only. About the only time you will see an ARC on sale without the publisher throwing fits is well after publication and they are being sold as collector's items. If you do a search on eBay for the keyword ARC you will likely find some of those. I think what is more likely to be going on is that the book was actually published prior to the official publication date. There are a number of reasons why a publication date might be postdated including a misestimation of when the book would actually be published or an attempt to date a book at some time in the future so that later buyers will think they are getting the very latest information and sales will continue longer. One might get the impression that no book is ever available before the official publication date because of the hype surrounding certain bestsellers like, for example, the Harry Potter books. I am sure that you have heard of people lining up at the stores to get such books when the official publication date arrives at the stroke of midnight or of store employees who get in trouble because they let someone read the book perhaps a day before publication date. Events like that are really just hype. It is done like that to generate interest in a book and increase sales when it does go on sale. The vast majority of books are not treated like that, though, and it is common for a book to be on sale even as early as a year before publication date. It is less common for a book to go on sale after the official publication date, but it does happen some times when problems in production or distribution crop up. If the book is actually on sale at the NFB convention, though, I think you can pretty much count on it not being an ARC.

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communistic revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Working people of all countries unite!" - Karl Marx

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com