[bksvol-discuss] Book Submitted: Twisty little Passages

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 08:38:10 -0500

Another wishlist book.

I don't remember who said they would validate it, so didn't put a "hold"
for, on it.

But just submitted:

Twisty Little Passages
Nick Montfort

From the Book Jacket:

Interactive fiction?the best-known form of which is the text game or text
adventure?has not received as much critical attention as have such other
forms of electronic literature as hypertext fiction and the conversational
programs known as chatterbots. Twisty Little Passages (the title refers to a
maze in Adventure, the first interactive fiction) is the first book-length
consideration of this form, examining it from gaming and literary
perspectives. Nick Montfort, an interactive fiction author himself, offers
both aficionados and first-time users a way to approach interactive fiction
that will lead to a more pleasurable and meaningful experience of it.
Twisty Little Passages looks at interactive fiction beginning with its most
important literary ancestor, the riddle. Montfort then discusses Adventure
and its precursors (including the I Ching and Dungeons and Dragons), and
follows this with an examination of mainframe text games developed in
response, focusing on the most influential work of that era, Zork. He then
considers the introduction of commercial interactive fiction for home
computers, particularly that produced by Infocom. Commercial works inspired
an.independent reaction, and Montfort describes the emergence of independent
creators and the development of an online interactive fiction community in
the 1990s. Finally, he considers the influence of interactive fiction on
other literary and gaming forms. With Twisty Little Passages. Nick Montfort
places interactive fiction in its computational and literary contexts,
opening up-this-still-developing form to new consideration.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.