[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book I'm going to scan next

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 19:28:15 -0500

Dear Kathryn,

If you haven’t got a proofreader I’m interested in your book. I’ve described
illustrations for hundreds of books, mostly books for middle grades or poetry
books. Currently I’m proofing and describing pictures for an amusing book for
ages 8-12 called the Ghosts of Hungryhouse Lane. Because I’m a very low
partial, even with the use of a CCTV, I can’t interpret some kinds of art so
then I used to Write [Picture] on full page illustrations. Now I’m conforming
to Bookshare’s latest designation, [Image removed].

If, after studying your book I find I’m not equal to describing the pictures
I’ll quickly return it.

I admit I grumble when I’m writing picture descriptions because they require
more creativity than straight proofreading. They are time consuming. However,
since I was raised a braille reader, still my favorite way to read, I remember
wishing to know what was in pictures, though I couldn’t tell if the print book
had pictures or not since there were no print books in our public school
classrooms for visually impaired children. It’s because of my clear memories of
yearning to know about pictures that I force myself to describe pictures for
1/4 to 1/3 of the books I proofread. Because the task is so taxing I rarely
describe pictures for those books with pictures on most of the pages with scant
text. I know my limitations

For Christmas last year my brother and his wife gave me a book about a rescued
greyhound which was illustrated by the author who considered the images and
moods conveyed in her art to be essential to the book. Oh, and the book was
autographed to me. That thing took many hours because I did my best to glean
the artists intent and also tried to describe the various styles, media and
visual devices she used to enlarge on her text. The story, based on fact, about
a rescued greyhound who spent half her time with a nurse and the other half
with an artist, was so touching. Those ladies adored the dog and the book and
pictures makes the reader adore it, too.

I’m not figuring out how to get emails from posts here so I don’t know how to
contact you off list. If you still need a describer, contact me at
Airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Oh, and according to Bookshare training and my own common sense, I don’t
describe details that are clearly stated in the text. I only describe what is
shown in addition to what is already conveyed in words.

Always with love,

Lissi