[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book Covers

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:24:57 -0400

For hardcovers, I always try to scan the inside flap stuff because it usually contains info about the book itself, and often something about the author as well. I've found that those usually, but not always, scan, with some tweaking sometimes. However, I don't even try to scan the front and back outside covers in most cases. Those are usually a lost cause as far as OCR goes, having the title in huge text mixed in with art and other graphicals. The back cover usually just has marketing fluff on it, when I can determine what's on it at all with my Optacon. Besides, the title is inside the book, often on more than one title page, so the time spent trying to OCR the outside covers just isn't worth the trouble for the redundant information on them.

I did get a good scan of the outside back cover of one kids book I submitted recently. It had a brief excerpt from the book, which was very funny and I thought might draw kids into reading the rest of it. But those kinds of things are exceptions.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christina" <greensleeves1@xxxxxxxxx>