[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book Approvals for the Immediate Future

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:12:17 -0600

I spoke with Lisa, Bookshare's Product Manager, earlier today.  Gustavo's
responsibilities will be shared by the rest of the staff.  Lisa's identified
someone to take over approvals for now, but I don't know if she's had a
chance to discuss it with them yet or not, so it will probably be a day or
two before they're ready to announce it.  Gustavo did such a good job
recently keeping the approval and rejection queues low that it won't hurt if
Bookshare takes a couple of weeks to begin processing books again.  I
wouldn't be surprised, however, if we see the process resume later this week
or early next week.

When the process does resume, we'll need to be patient with whomever it is
that takes over those responsibilities.  Just as it takes time to learn what
to do when becoming a volunteer, it will take time for the person to become
familiar with what is and isn't permitted under copyright law, as well as
Bookshare's policies related to approving books.  Gustavo did train others
to do the work, but an hour or two of training isn't enough time to convey
all of the knowledge Gustavo acquired over his four and a half years doing
the job.

Like others who have responded to Jim's message, I am still stunned.  It
will take time for me to become accustomed to a Bookshare without Gustavo.
I expected him to be a part of Bookshare forever.

Gerald

  _____