[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bolded words in text

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 22:54:21 -0800 (PST)

Not just foreign words, but also names of boats and titles of books and things
that in English classes one learns should b be in italics--smile--but most
importantly, from the point of view of the author, italics indicate words to be
emphasized. That's why I asked if speech readers emphasize words in the course
of reading, and when people use it to scan.; Monica explained nicely what it
does with books that have bold and italics, but what I was wondering was if in
the course of reading sentences without indication of anything a speech machine
would emphasize certain words. When reading a  sentence or several, the order
of the words or something sometimes indicates that a particular word should be
emphasized. Sometimes when I've been proofing files that have no italicized
words but it seems seems as if one should be; I check the print book and  sure
enough, it is, so I change it. The file book I'm about to upload soon had no
italicized words but I've put
 them all in--but am I correct in thinking that a scanner has no way to know if
there are words that should be emphasized and thus would not be able to ask
that a sighted reader proof the book?

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List: