[bksvol-discuss] Re: Best cookbooks How many does Bookshare have

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:43:43 -0800

Hi, I am very picky about the cookbooks I like. I'm extremely interested
in ethnic cookbooks as well as subject cookbooks, examples would be
grains, beans (or legumes) vegetables, fruits (if the family only makes
boring preparations for veggies and fruit cookbooks are definitely
desired for ideas), herbs and spices, sauces, chutneys, jams, pickles,
preserves and conserves, ground meat preparations, smoking,
sausage-making, everything having to do with desserts, pies, puddings,
cakes, muffins, scones, biscuits, rolls, etc., making your own cereals,.
A lot of cookbooks for us as blind people do tend to dumb things down a
bit, don't you think? When someone wasinstructing me how to cook, I felt
the lessons I got didn't help much. For one thing the lessons occurred
once a week and I don't think they got into the techniques for preparing
food effectively. There were no thermometers then and God help you if
you told the instructor you wanted to make yeast bread from scratch, use
the deep-fryer or broiler, etc. To this day I'm scared to light matches,
I don't know how to deep-fry or barbecue anything, and I've never canned
anything. Regards, Kim Friedman.