[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bertrice Small books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:23:20 -0800 (PST)

No, Allison. I meant that when I was persuaded not to
feel guilty for reading books that I wasn't  scanning
for bookshare, and I was waiting to start the Skye
O'Malley series, I read The Kadin. Also,  if you read
Until You, you'll remember that Rosamund Bolton was in
love with Patrick Glenkick and there were references
to his kidnapped daughter. I wanted to know what that
was about, so I read The Kadin. The historical parts
have to to with Sulamein the Great and his father and
that period of time in the Ottoman Empire, as well, of
course, as the customs there. Having read, also, The
Speckled Monster, about the difficult but successful
efforts of Lady Mary Montague in England and Dr.
Samuel Boylston in Boston to innoculate against
smallpox (a very readable book -- not scholarly and
dry -- so well written I even read the Notes afterward
for  more information) I was surprised that Small uses
a smallpox epidemic as a device (I won't spoil things
by saying how), since what was called variolation
(slightly different from vaccination but as effective)
apparently was used in the Ottoman Empire even in the
time she set her story -- but that would have spoiled
her plot. BTW, the sex scenes in the Kadin are far
less explicit than in her later books.

http://mail.yahoo.com