[bksvol-discuss] Re: Beginning Volunteer Ideas

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 21:45:56 -0400

Besides that, when I first began volunteering there was no guarantee that I would work on more than the one book I started out with. I was trying it out while I waited for my qualification information to get from my NLS library to Bookshare. If I had had to be paired with a mentor or teacher I think I would have regarded that as too much of a commitment and I might have backed out. Your suggestion about new volunteers just subscribing to this list and asking questions untill someone who knows the answer and has similar equipment to respond is pretty much the way it is done anyway. When I first subscribed it was because I had finished my first proofreading job and could not figure out how to upload it. I asked on list and got several answers from people who seemed to expect that I already knew more than I did. Then came along Bob Wiley who quickly assessed my level of ignorance and got me through it. I suppose he was my first mentor. If I had been assigned to him I am not sure I would have wanted to take on the amount of commitment that would have implied to me.

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com