[bksvol-discuss] Re: Barbara

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:59:01 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, you did it correctly.

Gerald likes to have people be independent and look up
things on their own, and it is true that one learns
better that way--and you can copy and save the
instructions on to your desktop or in a folder.

I tend to appreciate short cuts myself and answer
people's questions--though when my children were
younger I made them look up things for themselves.

Here's some instructions that I had copied and saved.
Hope they help

Cindy

The author of the book-
  This one is horrendously messy, so it's been divided
into several
  sections.
  A) For each author's name, please
    1) put the first name first and the last name last
    Wrong: Ahl, Allison       Right: Allison Ahl
    2) drop all titles, honorifics, occupations,
degrees, etc.
    Wrong: Dr. Bart Ball      Right: Bart Ball
    Wrong: Clara Crawl, MSW   Right: Clara Crawl
    Wrong: Senator Dee Dahl   Right: Dee Dahl
    Exception: if the title is part of the official
name, leave it in
    Wrong: Seuss              Right: Dr. Seuss
    3) drop all commas inside a name
    Wrong: Fred Fall, Jr.     Right: Fred Fall Jr.
    4) keep periods after initials and Jr.
    Wrong: Gigi G Gall        Right: Gigi G. Gall
    5) put a space between initials
    Wrong: H.H. Hall          Right: H. H. Hall
  B) For multiple authors, please
    1) for each name, follow the guidelines above
    2) separate each name with a comma, not 'and' or
'&' or '/'
    Wrong: J. James and J. Jones  Right: J. James, J.
Jones
    Wrong: Kay & Ken Kent     Right: Kay Kent, Ken
Kent
    Wrong: James/Jones/Kent   Right: J. James, J.
Jones, Ken Kent
    3) do not use 'Va rious' or 'et al' or 'others' as
an author, list all of the authors
    Wrong: Various            Right: B. Bell, D. Dell,
F. Fell, G. Gell
    Wrong: James et al.       Right: J. James, J.
Jones, Ken Kent
  C) For editors, compilers, adapters, translators,
etc., please
    1) spell out his/her function after each name
    Wrong: L. Lay, M. May (editors)  Right: L. Lay
(editor), M. May (editor)
    Wrong: Nan Nall (Comp)    Right: Nan Nall
(compiler)
    Wrong: Edited by Olive Owl Right: Olive Owl
(editor)
    Wrong: Trans. Peter Paul  Right: Peter Paul
(translator)
  D) If the author's name is missing, please
    1) use the editors of the company that put out the
book
    Wrong: None            Right: The Editors at the
Walt Disney Company