[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - page break alignment?

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:51:27 -0600

Dave,  you bring up very good points.  My personal inclination is that
page breaks always should be aligned with the print copy corresponding to
the ISBN, even if these files are sourced directly from Baen.  However,
ultimately this may be a Bookshare decision.

Guido

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
01/09/2008 09:03 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit  them?

Hi Guido,

As you pointed out, the only hard page breaks
seem to be in the front matter, while all the
rest are soft breaks generated in accordance with
the page setup.  Yes, I know that statement rates
high on the duh scale, as I'm only restating
earlier observations.  My point however, is that
as the e-text edition is a valid version of the
title, I wouldn't think it would be necessary to
match page breaks up with the print editions, but
rather just replace the soft breaks with hard
ones.  I think we need to remember here what the
motivation was initially behind demanding hard
page breaks to begin with.  For others on the
list who may not have been here, or don't recall,
they were intended to provide a mechanism for
navigating the daisy files.  This is a bit of a
unique situation as the provider, a commercial
publisher, willingly allows their e-text works to
be incorporated into the Bookshare collection by
individual users, rather than transferring directly by staff members.

Dave