[bksvol-discuss] Backgammon - your input is requested

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 00:34:01 -0800 (PST)

I have started scanning the Beginning Backgammon book. I haven't played
backgammon in years, but the book is confusing me. I remember playing so that
you moved all of your pieces in a clockwise fashion towards your side of the
board, all the way to your left. Once all of your pieces were in that section
you could start removing them.

  The book shows that you will move all of your pieces in a counter clockwise
fashion towards your side of the board, but all the way to your right.

  Is this right? Have I always played the game wrong? Or should I find a
different book?

  The second question is there are lots of diagrams of the board and how you
could move.

  The have the board numbered 1-12 on each side, white side and black side.
Then they show how many pieces are on each (whatever they call it) slot 1-12. I
plan to describe it something like this and I want to know if this will work
for the reader:

  (where 1-6 is the "inner table" where once you get all of your pieces there
you can start taking them off)

  Black side:
  12 - 5 white pieces
  11
  10
  9
  8 - 4 black pieces
  7
  6 - 4 black pieces
  5 - 1 white pieces
  4 - 1 black piece
  3
  2 - 1 black piece
  1

  Diagram shows that one piece from 6 moves to 4.

  White side:
  12 - 4 black pieces
  11
  10
  9
  8 - 2 white pieces
  7
  6 - 3 white pieces
  5 - 2 white pieces
  4
  3 - 2 white pieces
  2
  1 - 1 black piece

  Diagram shows one piece moves from 1 to 4

  Will this work for everybody? Is there a better way to describe to see what
the diagram shows? Do you need to know the color of the pieces when the diagram
shows they are moving or can you go to the list of what is on the diagram and
know the color?

  Anything else I ought to know?

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - When death comes stealing : a Tamara Hayle mystery /
Valerie Wilson Wesley

I'm an eBay affiliate, click here before you bid!
Click here for eBay!