[bksvol-discuss] Re: Author Font Size, etc.

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 14:20:07 -0500

Thanks, Madeleine!

Judy s.
On 8/19/2014 2:09 PM, Madeleine Linares wrote:

Hi everyone,

First of all, I’m very sorry for any confusion! I’ve been trying very hard to make sure the volunteer proofreading and scanning requirements match those that we follow in our offices and with our outsourcers. It’s very important to me that we have the highest quality books in Bookshare’s library, and part of that is consistency.

Second of all: we do not require that the author’s name be changed to 18 point and bold. We do not do this in-house, and do not require that our vendors do so. However, we wouldn’t reject a book or send it back for more editing if the author’s name has been bolded and changed to 18 point font.

The only reason I can see why we might change the author’s name to 18 point and bold would be to make it easier to find the title page. However, since we change the title of the book to 20 point and bold on the title page, this seems like overkill.

I’m really sorry the training instructions give incorrect information. We no longer require that any new volunteers do the training project, since it’s outdated. Unfortunately I have not been able to remove it or edit it, so it still causes some issues. I’m working on that though.

My goal is *not* to arbitrarily decide something and force people to do it. If/when we make changes to the proofreading or scanning processes, I do my very best to let you all as know as soon as I do, and to explain why. As always, don’t hesitate to ask me questions! Many of you already know this, but we’ve finally been doing some concrete testing on the Bookshare converter in the hopes of better understanding all the weird quirks and rules, and to see if there are processes that are outdated and need to change. We aren’t always made aware of engineering changes to the converter, and there’s actually no one person who knows how it works. It’s an ongoing process, but I’m excited about it, since it’s a very important one. As I learn more, you’ll learn more.

Best,

Madeleine Linares

Volunteer Coordinator

Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative