[bksvol-discuss] Re: Attempting a b s o copy

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 09:11:15 -0500

Anastasia,

There are issues with converting books in the collection to other formats,
and I believe the staff has decided that they would prefer a book to be
rescanned.  They recently reworded the note on the Volunteer Home Page.  It
no longer says:

Bookshare welcomes improved submissions of books you download from our site.
While you're reading a book you have downloaded from Bookshare.org, if and
when you encounter errors, please feel free to correct those errors. When
you're done with the book, you have a better copy than what you downloaded
from our site, right? Share that improved book with us. Submit the new book.
Or, if you finish reading one of our books of improvable quality, have
access to a printed copy, and have the time and resources to rescan the book
entirely, please, feel free to do a complete re-scan of the book.

To help cut down on confusion, please title any submission of an improved
book with "BSO-"then the title. For example "BSO-The House on Pooh Corner"
or, "BSO-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". This helps the
Bookshare.org staff figure out that yes, you are submitting an improved copy
of a book. This saves all of us time because we don't have to hold the book
in the submisison process to check with the validator or the submitter to
make sure the submission isn't a duplicate.

It now says:

If you'd like to improve the quality of a book in our collection, feel free
to do a rescan of the book. To help cut down on confusion, as to whether
you're submitting a duplicate or an improved rescan, please title any
submission of an improved book with "BSO-"then the title; for example
"BSO-The House on Pooh Corner" or, "BSO-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance".

As you found out, the problem with converting books from the collection
using Word or another word processor is that the page breaks are lost.  I
believe the problem with converting books from the the collection using
K-1000 is that page numbers are lost due to Bookshare and KESI storing the
page number info differently.  If that's the case, then the loss of page
breaks or page numbers would automatically make a book lesser quality than
that in the collection.

In any case, as you can see, the note on the website was reworded to say

If you'd like to improve the quality of a book in our collection, feel free
to do a rescan of the book.

Before you go to any more trouble, you may want to check with John at
<mailto:volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to see if your BSO
book will be accepted.

HTH

Gerald