[bksvol-discuss] Ascii codes for copyright sign and registered sign and how to find all ASCII codes on a Windows System

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:07:56 -0600

Hi all,

The copyright symbol
© is alt-0169 (alt key zero one six nine)

The registered symbol
® is alt-0174 (alt key zero one seven four)

Remember you must use the numeric keypad to type in the numbers,
or this doesn't work.

I don't know if a screen reader can interpret the following correctly so it is even usable if you're blind, but on a windows system you can reach a utility called the "Character Map" that is built into every Windows system. It lists every ascii letter and symbol and its keyboard equivalent in a table, and you can even copy the symbols from this table into any program on a Windows system.

On a Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems you reach the Character
Map by clicking the Start button, then clicking Programs, then
clicking Accessories, and then clicking System Tools, then
clicking Character Map.

On a Vista system you reach the Character map by clicking the
Start button, then clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories,
clicking System Tools, and then clicking Character Map.

On a Windows 7 system you reach the Character map by clicking the
Start button and then in the search box, type Character Map, and
then, in the list of results, click Character Map.

Alternatively, I think on all windows system you can click on the
start menu, chose the run option and in the run dialog box type:
charmap.exe - but I'm not positive about this one.

Also, in Microsoft Word, it is under the "tools" "autocorrect" menu where the option is set to turn use of a left parentheses followed by a letter c into a copyright symbol and a left parentheses followed by the letter r into the registered symbol. It is set to do this by default.

Hope this helps. smile

Judy s.

Valerie Maples wrote:
In terms of working within word to produce certain things, I
am pretty sure the execution of those 2 symbols (for copy
right and registered trademark) have to do with auto spelling,
but someone else, possibly Mayrie, will correct me if I am
wrong. I know that with the settings I have set him both my
neck and my PC it executes it encircled as opposed to having
parenthesis on either side of the letter.