[bksvol-discuss] Re: Are volunteers really that important anymore?

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:27:49 -0700 (PDT)

You've clarified rather than confused  things for me, Chela, thank you. I was
confused because the enlarging of chapter titles is to make it easier for Daisy
users and whoever (was it Denise?) mentioned the added inconvenience of
enlarging chapter titles seemed to think it benefited sighted rather than blind
users.

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List:

Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 2:37
          PM

          Judy

I'm behind the times. I didn't
          realize BS had broadened it's focus. I'm glad if it benefits you. I
          just don't want people who are blind to get lost in the process since
          that was the original reason for BS's existance. Right now all I know
          is that its getting harder for us to contribute. Probably we've gone
          about as far as we can with this discussion on the list. Hopefully BS
          staff are listening and will consider what has been
          said.

Denise

At 12:38 PM 8/27/2009, you
          wrote:
> Denise, you asked about who is benefiting from all the
          changes.  I can certainly understand your frustration.
          smile

> I think that many of the the changes are coming
          about because Bookshare's members are expanding to include more
          disabled individuals like myself who are fully sighted but have other
          serious disabilities that prevent us from reading printed
          books.

> A bookshare book that "sounds" fine to a blind
          individual is often virtually unreadable to a sighted disabled person
          who relies on visually reading the book from their computer
          screen.

> Imagine listening to a book where the
          narrator is randomly shouting one word, whispering the next, or
          stopping in the middle of a sentence then starting again as if it
were
          a new sentence. It would be an unpleasant experience to have to read
          books if this was the norm.

> That's the equivalent of
          what it's like to visually read a book that hasn't had the formatting
          of a book cleaned up in the way that's now being suggested.
          smile.

> Things in written text that don't make a
          difference to a blind reader make an enormous difference to a sighted
          disabled reader.  For example, having the chapter titles in
          larger fonts makes a huge difference in readability for visual
          navigation, too, not just for DAISY navigation.

> One
          thing that doesn't make much difference to me at least, however, is
          the inclusion of images in fiction books, as least those that are
          geared towards a young adult or adult audience. They're nice to have,
          sort of like having a narrator who can speak in different accents for
          different characters in a book, but not necessary.  smile.
          The same might be true of mostly-picture-books for children, but I
          can't speak to that.

> I hope that gives at peek into
          why I believe some of the changes are happening.  smile.

          wrote:
>> I think we have noticed it, but no one right now is
          prepared to deal with it since it was once the foundation of the
          organization itself. It was one of the big draws in the beginning
          which led to many news stories and funding.
>> The other
          issue for me is who is benefitting from all the changes. I mean the
          changes in terms of the correct preciseness of books scanned now.
          Certainly phe push to get rid of garbled text and scannos is
wonderful
          and can easily be done today with impprooved OCR software. The other
          things though I wonder. It's true that I read in the Daisy format
very
          seldom. Mostly I quickly convert my books to text and put them on my
          phone to read. When I'm listening to a book, it sounds exactly the
          same to me if it has paragraph marks at the end of each line or
double
          paragraph marks for real paragraphs. It sounds the same if chapter
          titles are in 16 point font or in 12 point. The only real factor that
          affects me as a blind person listening to the book is the cleanness
of
          the scan. I know that the other factors mentioned work better in a
          Daisy translation and create better divisions on a daisy player.
          Perhaps for text books this is more important, but for reading for
          pleasure, it makes no difference in listening, but makes a whole lot
          of difference in scanning, proofing and getting a book accepted into
          the library.
>> My last thought on this is a concern about
          pictures. I foresee a time when people who are blind will no longer
be
          able to scan because it will become important that the pictures be
          included. Now I go through the new books and there is the added
choice
          of downloading daisy with images. In the last book I scanned I was
          aware there were some pictures, but I'm not able to really deal with
          them because I can't tell how over all they are affecting the page
lay
          out. I deleted them when I knew one was there. I knew one was there
          primarily by accident if it was at the top of the page as I checked
          for a paragraph mark I would be told a picture was there. I don't
know
          if I got them all or if some still remained. The book was accepted,
          but I don't know what the proofer had to do in order to make that
          happened. I may not be expressing myself well, but its almost now as
          if we're creating books that would pass in the sighted world with all
          the same bells and whistles. It seems that maybe we're loosing sight
          of the mission a bit. But, again, I guess if the books can be done
          with all the bells and whistles more quickly without us and we still
          get the benefit of the greater numbers, maybe it doesn't
          matter.

          10:36 AM 8/27/2009, you wrote:
>>> If I had a stack of
          those gay and lesbian books on hand I can imagine that I might send
          them off to Bookshare and I might be out the postage and the cost of
          the books if I had bought them, but I would also be out many hours of
          volunteer labor to get them into the collection. I am not
particularly
          interested in children's picture books, so I have not downloaded any,
          but I would think that outsourcers could handle them. I think that
          Pavi, in fact, said that the more difficult books have priority for
          being outsourced. The main thing I have noticed, though, is that the
          proportion of books added to the collection by means other than
          volunteers is now considerably greater than the proportion added by
          volunteers and that proportion is growing. Also, a good many books
          already in the collection by means of volunteers are being replaced
by
          other means. Furthermore, the proportion that are being added by
          volunteers could , in most cases, be done faster and just as easily
or
          more easily, by those other means. No one has mentioned it. In fact,
          the Bookshare staff is proceeding away with more and more innovations
          for volunteers. What I was really wondering is whether volunteering
is
          becoming obsolete and nobody has noticed it.

>>> "Can a nation be free if it
          oppresses other nations? It cannot." Vladimir Lenin

          Militant: http://www.themilitant.com
<http://wwww.themilitant.com>Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com

                      _

>>> table with 2 columns and 6 rows

          Subj:Â
>>> [bksvol-discuss] Re: Are volunteers really that
          important anymore?  Â
>>> Date:Â

          8/27/2009 4:25:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time Â

          From:Â
>>> rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> Reply-to:Â
>>> bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> To:Â
>>> bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> Sent from the Internet

          (Details)Â
>>> table end

          Roger, this is an excellent summary of some of the things I have also
          been thinking.Â

>>> When I first started
          with bookshare a couple of years ago, there were tons of books whose
          rating was fair, and in most cases that designation was
          kind.
>>> But, the books were available, and for a group
          starving for reading material, they were great to have.

>>> However, our tastes--and our
          tolerances--have improved. Where once we would accept day-old bread
          because we were starving, we now want freshly baked
          goods.
>>> (Wow, I must be hungry).Â
>>>

>>> So, I think your comments about the changing role of
          the volunteer are right on target. There will always be a need for
          volunteers to do the specialty books
>>> (such as
          children's books with pictures), and books of special interest. I
          can't imagine NLS having a whole category of gay and lesbian books,
          nor can
>>> I imagine the department of education wanting
          their money going toward that end. (I'm not being critical, just
can't
          imagine it happening.) But, we volunteers
>>> can make it
          happen. We can also put books in the collection from those publishers
          who won't cooperate with us (after all, we have the law on our
          side).Â

>>> In short, I see the role of
          the volunteer changing, but not going away any time
          soon.Â

>>> There's an old Chinese proverb
          that says "may you live in interesting times." I've always wondered
          whether that was a curse, challenge or a blessing.
          Whatever
>>> it is, we live in very interesting times with
          bookshare.Â

>>> BobÂ
>>>

>>> “We know the future will outlast all of us, but I
          believe that all of us will live on in the future we
          make,�

          -----

>>> From:
>>> Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx

>>> To:
>>> bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>

>>> Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:22
          PM

>>> Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Are
          volunteers really that important anymore?

>>> I am not taking a position one way or another. I just
          thought I would express some thoughts and questions that have been
          running through my mind. I have
>>> been involved with
          Bookshare for just a little over a year now and have seen some
          considerable changes. I have also surmised changes that came about
          before
>>> I came along. As I understand it the name
          Bookshare was literal in the beginning. That is, people posted the
          books they had scanned for themselves and
>>> actually
          shared them with others who were posting books they had scanned for
          themselves. That would have meant that the only source of books
          Bookshare
>>> had for the most part was from the
          volunteers. Since then, though, publishers have come to contribute
          large numbers of books. Bookshare is acquiring books

          from donations or from buying them and scanning them in house or
          outsourcing them. It actually appears that the number of books added
          to the collection
>>> by means other than volunteers is
          considerably greater than those added by the volunteers. I have
          noticed other things being done that volunteers do
          that
>>> may be being done more prolifically by other
          means than by volunteers. On more than one occasion now I have made a
          quality report for a book that contained
>>> an error or
          errors. To my surprise the whole entire book was promptly replaced by
          an outsourcer. That makes me wonder why we should bother with
          scanning
>>> a BSO. Volunteers are more and more
          frequently finding that the books they intend to scan are being added
          by outsourcers before the volunteer get a chance
          add it. Yes, that means that the volunteer can work on something
else,
          but it still remains that work that would have been done by a
          volunteer is being
>>> done otherwise. We were asked for
          some suggestions about gaps in the collection and I made a
suggestion.
          As I scan the new books lists I see that it appears,

          to my gratification, that my suggestions are being acted on. I am
          pleased, but I cannot help noticing that it is being done without
          volunteers. If time
>>> is money I wonder if it might be
          more efficient to donate money to Bookshare to buy books and pay
          outsourcers rather than donate our time. If we want
          certain
>>> books in the collection I wonder if it might
          be faster and more efficient to just donate the books rather than put
          so much of our own labor into them.
>>> As things change
          devices to accomplish our goals become obsolete when they are
replaced
          by better devices and certain jobs become obsolete when
          better
>>> and mor efficient ways are found to do things.
          I wonder if Bookshare volunteering is a job that is becoming
obsolete.
          Since we have not even heard hints
>>> from Bookshare that
          new volunteers are no longer welcome or that volunteers can give up
on
          certain jobs I wonder if Bookshare volunteering is
          becoming
>>> obsolete and the folks at Bookshare do not
          even realize it yet. It does seem that the volunteers are becoming
          less important to Bookshare and that Bookshare
>>> could
          probably now do quite well without volunteers while still adding
books
          at a rapid rate. I am not saying that is good or bad. I am not saying
          that
>>> I want it to be like that or that I don't want it
          to be like that. I am just wondering and thinking. What do you guys
          think about what I have said?Â

                               "Can a
          nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot." Vladimir
          Lenin   Â
>>>              The
          Militant:
>>> http://www.themilitant.com <http://www.themilitant.com/>

          Pathfinder Press:
>>> http://www.pathfinderpress.com <http://www.pathfinderpress.com/>

          Granma International:
                      _
>>> block quote end

          put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get
          a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
          subject line.

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email
put
          the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a
          subject line.

start:
  0000-00-00 end: 0000-00-00