[bksvol-discuss] Re: Apple anyone?

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 05:27:55 -0500

Hi,

I use all three OS (Windows, Macintosh and GNU/Linux) these days.
Coincidentally, I was going to download a couple of OCR program demos for
Mac today and see how well they work.

We're in our Cambridge home so I have an old Windows laptop, a real nice
little Macintosh and run GNU/Linux using a virtual machine on my Mac.  I
have OP for the PC and an open source OCR program for GNU/Linux which works
not too badly and, as it has no monetary cost, it's clearly worth more than
I paid for it.

When shopping for a Mac, you can remember that using VMWare Fusion (about
$100) you can also have Windows and GNU/Linux as well as a number of other
operating systems installed and easily switch among them.  I'll be
installing Windows on my Mac this week, thus obviating the PC laptop.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Chris Hofstader
email: cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx