[bksvol-discuss] Re: Appendix of addresses, Scanning Success

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 20:22:32 -0600

I forgot to add that, in order to combine the 2 documents in MS Word, I selected all of the appendix, and did a copy an paste on to the end of the main body of the book, making sure that there was an appropriate page break prior to the appendices. if anybody has any questions, just let me know.

Melissa Smith

On 11/7/2010 8:16 PM, Melissa Smith wrote:
I'm currently working on a book that has over 100 pages of appendices that are all 2 columns of addresses. This would have been a big chore for the proofer, so I wanted to get them as clean as possible. Here is what I did, which has worked as far as I can tell so far. It also appears to have worked for the index, based on spot checking. I'm using K1000 V11.
1. I scanned the book just using some pretty basic settings.
2. I started a new file for the appendices and index, and changed the following settings. A. under the conversion setting for opening text documents, I selected to preserve line endings. B. Under the reading settings, I selected not to have tables identified, and to respect line endings.
C. Under recognition settings, I enabled column identification.
3. After scanning the appendix and index, while still in K1000, I did a find and replace to eliminate all spaces at the beginning of lines. You accomplish this by putting \n (that is backslash n space) and replacing with \n (that's backslash n). replace all, and repeat until there are 0 replacements. You may wonder why I did this final step. Well, that is because after saving the .rtf, and opening it in MS Word, which is what I do my proofing in, some of the line endings weren't preserved as they were in K1000. After examining the lines that weren't represented correctly, character by character, I realized that the lines that didn't display correctly had leading spaces. After removing the leading spaces, the line endings truly were respected.
I hope this may be of help to someone in the future.